Process from when I was working full time restoring vintage bikes:
1) Strip parts, clean, dry
2) Dinitrol inside frame tubes
3) Lemon juice and wire wool / alu foil on rust spots
Lemon juice is more acidic & effective than cola. Use a fresh lemon, you'll only need 1-2 and they smell great.
Wire wool can be harsh on paint, but is great for chrome. Foil is more gentle but less effective. Small scratches in paint will be fixed if you use T-Cut in step 4....
4) Clean and dry frame again, Autosol on the chrome sections and T-Cut on paintwork. Start with a very clean cloth and floss the tubes and lugs. Clean and dry frame again.
5) Protective coating! You've got about 4 decent options from least to most protection:
- Mr Sheen polish
- RaceGlaze wax (or another wax)
- Clear coat (can, single part)
- Clear coat (can, two part.... careful as this is very hazardous and you need to look up the right PPE)