Patience (or lack thereof) has always been what one might call a negative attribute of my personality, but I’m proud of myself for defying such feelings this week.
Been back to work this week so making the most of my time off to get the Saracen fully finished and riding for the nice weather next week! I’ve never cabled a bike or set up V brakes ever so I felt a little bit anxious about the whole process but I’ve found the only way I can learn to do things is by getting stuck in and having a go.
First on was the tyres. After a long long deliberation, the H Blocks beat all the other competition. The price was definitely one of the set backs because £30 a tyre to me is painful, but that being said, most of the tyres I was looking at were around that price so why can you do ¯_(ツ)_/¯
On the same note, I was a bit worried that 2.2” tyres wouldn’t leave enough space for fenders but I could probably fit 2.4” in the frame without fenders so I’m happy.
Sorted myself some Ergon grips for that Dad-bike aesthetic but also just wanted to try something new.
V brakes were relatively easy to set up once I got my head around the idea of spring tension to centre them. Wheels are a smidge untrue so I’m tempted to get them trued and tensioned at my LBS but that might be a project I have a go at.
Now onto the inevitable hurdle.. it seems as thought every time I try and work on this bike, there’s one thing that just doesn’t want to play ball. I researched derailleurs for weeks and came to the conclusion that a SRAM X9 would easily clear a 42t cassette. How very wrong I was. It may just be the fact I’m completely out of my depth when it comes to gears but I’ve bought a cheap extender on eBay to hopefully resolve that when it comes.
End of the day, I’m really proud of my skills of just putting a bike together out of bits and pieces.