I'm fairly new to this forum and I wanted to share my experience. Excuse my English mistakes, this is not my native langage. I'm currently setting up a bike based on Colnago Mexico frame:
This is (almost) my first road bike and the first that I set up on my own. I first bought a mbk bike with a full campagnolo Chorus group on it. Now, I'm setting this group on the Colnago frame.
I must admit that when I started, my knowledge was nearly 0.
To make it short, here a list of issues that I met:
- fork too long (had to cut it a bit)
- stem the old bike was damaged. Base diameter is between 22.3mm and 22.4 whereas it is supposed to be 22.2.
- the BB is Italian thread whereas the one of the mbk is BSC.
- the front derailleur was a collar one. The Colnagos is brazed.
- I set up a stronglight BB on it, but the square taper was JIS, not ISO.
- I set up a Tifosi BB (supposed to be Campa compatible) but it seems to be still JIS and not ISO.
That's a pretty good first experience. I'm learning a lot.
I'm still looking for some parts to complete it and especially a Colnago stem (quite difficult to find within a decent price range).
For those who wonder:
In the background, this is my fixed gear. It is based on a Brother cycles frame.
On the table, there is another frame. It is a Meral frame for ladies which looks exactly like this one:
This will be the next project for her.