Avatar for keepitmencap

keepitmencap

Member since Apr 2013 • Last active Sep 2021
  • 78 conversations
  • 996 comments

Most recent activity

  • in Bikes & Bits
    Avatar for keepitmencap

    The horror.

  • in Bikes & Bits
    Avatar for keepitmencap

    Managed to get some stuff right on the hour…sold out a couple of minutes later.

    Pretty sure we will see a lot of it for sale on eBay in the coming days/weeks!

  • in Complete bikes and frame & forks
    Avatar for keepitmencap

    Hi - if you would ever consider posting, please let me know. I would be interested. Cheers.

  • in Bikes & Bits
    Avatar for keepitmencap

    Total Gravel noob here.

    After going on a 'road' ride with the father in law which quickly turned into me trying to navigate mud, rocks and tree roots on a 25c GP5000s, I'm now seeing the value of having a frame that allows for bigger tyres. I'm usually very behind on new stuff/tech/trends (clinging for dear life to 10sp on all bikes but struggling to find chains locally these days..), but there are a few 'new' and 'trendy' things that I have been considering recently:

    • Disc brakes as trying to do more road riding in the mountains, but don't feel so comfortable descending with carbon rims, especially when wet
    • Aero-ish frameset so I have no excuses left when I get dropped on the fast, flat club rides
    • Clean/cable-free cockpit, which would be made possible with disc I think - possibly not cool and may be a PITA to service, but I just like them!

    I think that 80% of my riding will still be on roads, and the remaining 20% would be on fairly tame gravel tracks/mud singletrack (things I currently use my MTB for). I quite like the idea of being able to do all of this on one bike, just swapping out the wheelset. It's also easy to sell domestically as could save space.

    Any recommendations on a frameset that would be decent for fast road riding, but also allow up to maybe 30mm or 40mm (assume this is big enough for non-demanding gravel stuff)? I saw the Rondo HVRT in this thread that looks like it might be suitable - being able to use regular 700c or larger 650b tyres seems a smart way of doing things - is that the norm? Seems rather expensive however...3T Exploro seems like it could work, but the cable routing looks a bit odd, and I feel like I've read some negative things about the 3T 1 x bikes. LBS have a Argon 18 Dark Matter frameset on offer for £850 at the moment - seems well rated but perhaps not as good for the road as the others? Should I consider anything else? Any advice/sarcastic comments will be greatly received.

  • in Bikes & Bits
    Avatar for keepitmencap

    Thanks for this reply, it saved me a lot of money. Ride with GPS did exactly what I wanted and I only got lost once (GPS seemed to completely freeze, but a restart seemed to resolve things). The route planning was very easy to use, and the ability to download these routes was great.

    One thing to note is that I need to pay more attention to surfaces when building routes. Rocky farm tracks are quite a challenge on skinny road tyres...Time to buy a gravel bike, clearly.

  • in Bikes & Bits
    Avatar for keepitmencap

    Both good replies and the answers I was struggling to find. Will take a look at some Garmins.. Thanks.

  • in Bikes & Bits
    Avatar for keepitmencap

    I want both ideally - navigation, but with some basic monitoring on show. Seems to be a feature that others have requested on OSMAND.

    My HRM is ant+/Bluetooth, but iPhone is only Bluetooth.

    On a related note, it is unclear to me from online resources whether hardware like the Garmin edge can show nav and things like HR at the same time.

  • in Bikes & Bits
    Avatar for keepitmencap

    Thank you. That looks great and exactly what I need - especially as I will be out of my home country and data will be pricey.

    One negative though is that OSMAND doesn't appear to be able to show HR. Dt you know of anything similar that can?

  • in Bikes & Bits
    Avatar for keepitmencap

    Hi Garmin fans, I have some very basic questions. Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

    I'm going away cycling for a couple of weeks and spent part of the weekend creating some fun-looking routes on Strava. Never done this before, and now unclear how to actually follow them.

    From reading this thread, it seems like Ride With GPS is good for this, although I am aware that Strava has a navigation feature (very little on their site about this. Ideally, I would like to be able to easily follow the routes I have made, along with HR/average speed/distance. I have an iPhone, and would prefer not to buy a Garmin etc, but open to that if real benefits.

    Is the easiest workflow to download the routes from Strava and use them in Ride With GPS?

    Thanks.

Actions