Most recent activity
great price for a great frame tbh.
NJS Nitto Pearl Stem
Nitto B809AA Bars /w Brooks Microfibre tape and heatshrink tubing instead of tape
Nitto S65 Seatpost and Rino Concor
NJS Sugino 75s on a Campag BB /w a stupid big Aarn Camo ring
EAI dinner plate cog, Izumi chain
MKS Pedals with NJS MKS straps, plastic cages and a pink strap doubler from BLB because why not?
DA7600s on Grey TB14s /w 26c Spesh Turbo Cottons and no fork clearance whatsoever
Rides like a weapon.
After a little curing, this clearcoat is flattened with wet and dry paper, the flood fills are dropped in by hand... this is a cheap bike with quite poor shorelines so the fills are naff. Then a small cure and a new clearcoat is applied over the whole thing. This last clear is a flowcoat or "showcoat" and it helps bury the texture of the flake and helps disguise the edges of the different layered colours. The ultimate goal is a smooth finish.
After the final cure, we wet-flat the bike with high grade papers and buff it to a shine.
After the stencils and masks are all peeled off, we clean and degrease the whole thing, inspect the lines on the graphics and put an clearcoat over the whole thing.
Wish I'd chosen a lighter basecoat colour 'cause it's really quite tricky to spot the black outline around the yellow logos!
The stencils are cut by a CNC plotter and weeded and mounted so they can be used for airbrushing.
The multi-coloured ones are multi-stage processes with one colour going on, then a new stencils on top and new colours added etc...
I spent a (very) little time re-drawing the graphics.
Four is more than three so its obviously better by one... so it's a 4rensho now.
Once the filler is on and shaped and the whole thing is primed, cured and a key is put in it, colour goes on.
This was a metallic 'Midnight Purple' from the 90's Nissan Skyline for those who care.
After that it got a gentle dusting of flake in a three-colour blend.
The flake is suspended in a clear binder so that it can be applied through a proper HVLP process.
After media blasting, the frame went under epoxy primer.
Rubbing down the primer puts the "key" in it ready for colour and helps highlight high spots and low spots.
these low spots get filled and the re-shaped by hand and the whole thing is re-primed.