Having our offer accepted, being chain free plus the vendor being chain free we proceeded with all the legal process and many thousands already spent. A few days ago my solicitor emailed me to say the seller doesn't actually own the house! It belongs to his deceased father and that the son has applied for probate at the beginning of the year. So no timeframe on completion! Im naturally annoyed that we are in a hold up and that we may be delayed past the stamp duty holiday and if so need to fork out an additional 15K which I really don't want to be spending.
Do I let the proceedings continue to and then mention that I'll be renegotiating a new offer if delayed beyond the stamp holiday?
Anybody else found themselves in this type of situation?