Avatar for paininthe

paininthe

Member since Aug 2010 • Last active Apr 2020
  • 11 conversations
  • 703 comments

Most recent activity

  • in COVID-19
    Avatar for paininthe

    The realisation microorganisms are the real owners of this planet is a big one.

    HG Wells wrote about it in 1897

  • in Miscellaneous and Meaningless
    Avatar for paininthe

    Not what you asked, but classic 930.
    Worked with a lad with one in the mid 80s, who also incidentally wore a bi-coloured submariner, baring in mind that we where railway fitters at the time. Was always a touch in envy, but he was an absolute asshole so nobody ever mentioned the car or watch to him, which amused the rest of us. He also turned up with a shogun with a huge rib boat hung on the back, again no one mentioned to his face.

    Can aslo recall the write up in Car magazine by LJK Setright, said only drive vehicles with multiples of 6cylinders and when it set off it left rubber on the road like a zebra crossing.

  • in Miscellaneous and Meaningless
    Avatar for paininthe

    wonderfully quixotic madcap plans

    Try Harry Dwyer, around Britain in a speedboat

  • in COVID-19
    Avatar for paininthe

    Is there any chance someone with an FT subscription could send this to me please? From all the screenshots I've seen it now looks as though the FT is to the left of the Labour party's last manifesto..

    If you c&p all the numbery bits in to google, it gets around the paywall

  • in COVID-19
    Avatar for paininthe

    I just heard that Google are going to start releasing anonymised location data to show how people are behaving with regards to lockdown.

    https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility­/2020-03-29_GB_Mobility_Report_en.pdf

  • in Miscellaneous and Meaningless
    Avatar for paininthe

    Ploughing through Foreign language crime dramas on All 4, nothing absolutely amazing but when set in Stockholm or Turin etc. it brings a bit extra to it. Plus concentrating on the subtitles helps blank out everything else.

  • in COVID-19
    Avatar for paininthe

    I wonder who is going to get wheeled out today for the daily update, must be the least wanted call in the cabinet right now.

    This is the easy gig, the microphones are switched off of the questioner as soon as it is asked, so no follow up or challenge. Yet still they are not letting the Home Secretary Priti Patel have a go.

  • in COVID-19
    Avatar for paininthe

    If only 20% of the people tested are coming back positive, what symptoms have the other 80% got that gives rise to the test?
    Edit to add...Ne'er mind found it. There are a lot of ill people around.

    3.1 Patients who meet the following criteria (inpatient definition)
    requiring admission to hospital (a hospital practitioner has decided that admission to hospital is required with an expectation that the patient will need to stay at least one night)
    and
    have either clinical or radiological evidence of pneumonia
    or
    acute respiratory distress syndrome
    or
    influenza like illness (fever ≥37.8°C and at least one of the following respiratory symptoms, which must be of acute onset: persistent cough (with or without sputum), hoarseness, nasal discharge or congestion, shortness of breath, sore throat, wheezing, sneezing
    Note: Clinicians should consider testing inpatients with new respiratory symptoms or fever without another cause or worsening of a pre-existing respiratory condition.

  • in COVID-19
    Avatar for paininthe

    Isn't this to take the strain of the NHS? In Sweden SAS is doing the same with their cabin staff

    Makes complete sense to me. They don't have a job to go to but are qualified to help out at hospitals, why wouldn't they?

    It was the speed at which they laid staff off originally, now using the company name in a positive vain and getting credit and us picking up the bill.

    Of course it is a good thing, but if publicised as "Laid off staff from Virgin and Easy Jet volunteer for Nightingale" has a more positive ring.

    When i see Branson giving something back to the NHS instead of taking it i'll be happier

    Last year, it won a cash settlement from several NHS trusts when it took court action over a children’s services contract in Surrey, with details of the £2m payout only revealed recently in their accounts.

  • in COVID-19
    Avatar for paininthe

    Businesses are totally exploiting the Government's Job Protection Scheme and using it as a way to furlough employees that they wouldn't have made redundant or let go because their re-recruitment cots/effort were too high. Now they are getting 80% of their salaries back and using that money to protect their cash positions.

    Easy Jet and Virgin both doing that, who knew...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lo­ndon-52085701

Actions