Thought this might be the place to ask... the other evening my better half drove my car (BMW Mini) for the first time in over two weeks and two things cropped up that concerned her.
Issue 1: thud-dud-dud-da sound as the car moves slowly or slows down to a stop.
- I’ve pumped the tyres to the recommended psi
- had a look at the wheel arches - nothing there
- driven the car for a couple of 45min drives
It seems to have gone, or at least greatly decreased. But I still want to know what it was. The problem didn’t go when I pumped the tyres up.
A quick search online threw up the suggestion that nylon-cord tyres (as opposed to steel) can have flat spots when cold. The tyres, Pirelli Cinturato P1 Verde, were replaced in September - nothing online seems to confirm/deny what they are made with.
Any thoughts or ideas?
Issue 2: There is a dragging noise to the brakes – pretty sure it’s the rear discs, but hard to know for certain.
- I’ve braked suddenly (albeit from a slow speed) and the ABS kicked in and stopped the car fine.
- I’ve dragged the brake while driving slowly for a short time.
I feel confident the brakes work, and would have expected Kwickfit to have tried to sell me new brake pads in September if they were near wearing out.
Any tips on what I should be checking though as a check list?