Avatar for Sam_Doman

Sam_Doman

Member since Nov 2008 • Last active Oct 2018

Most recent activity

  • in Miscellaneous and Meaningless
    Avatar for Sam_Doman

    Side draft carbs? Looks like SU.

  • in Miscellaneous and Meaningless
    Avatar for Sam_Doman

    ...and some during photos. Sorry for posting so many at once.
    The front-end rebuild was pretty substantial (It was driven head-on into a tree, and left to rot in a hedge for 5+ years, on a mate's farm), and I replaced a huge amount of rotten body work, which I had to beat by hand. WIll have a lot more photos of the panel beating and welding work when I get my laptop fixed, if anyone's interested.

    Cut out the front crossmember, straightened every back out nicely, then rebuilt it. The bumper/bodywork is composite (I build boats normally).

  • in Miscellaneous and Meaningless
    Avatar for Sam_Doman

    Haven't been able to post any pictures of the truck since finishing the rebuild (have been using it as a daily driver for 2 months now), so just took a couple of snaps on the iPad. Will post some before/during after pictures first.

  • in Miscellaneous and Meaningless
    Avatar for Sam_Doman

    I've done a whole load of work on the brat recently, and photographed it all on my proper camera, but unfortunately my laptop is broken, so can't upload any. I borrowed Dad's workshop, while he was away for a couple of days, to weld up a 'new' rear section today, using recycled parts from the scrap-bin at the local classic car garage. I think the silencers were from a twin pipe E-type Jag. Decided to use them both inline, as I didn't want want it to be too loud. Seems to work really nicely, and the exhaust tone Is nice and crisp, without rasping or being deafening. It seems comparatively loudest at lower revs, and similarly quiet at driving-speed to the original, massive/ heavy silencer, which used to rasp and sound a bit hollow.
    I've already welded up the front and mid section, removed the forward silencer, and cut out rotten flange joints and some other sections that were blowing a bit, and replaced it with straight-pipe, so it is now a single section. All finished with several coats of black stove paint, and a chrome tip.

    Edit: photos added: Finished product, and original silencer, which was butchered.

  • Avatar for Sam_Doman

    Some of you might remember a post from a few months ago, about a Subaru brat, which I pulled out of a hedge on a friend's farm. I've been working on it almost full-time since then, and it's finally all back together. Lots of welding, panel beating a fabricating, and have just taken it out of the shed, having resprayed it. Did everything myself, occasionally with a bit of help from friends. There are lots of photos from throughout the process, but can't download them from my camera at the moment, so here are a couple of very low res shots of the preview screen. Will post proper photos of finished product soon, and if there's interest; I could put together a gallery of the work.

    Edit: 'before' photos added for reference.

  • Avatar for Sam_Doman

    Thanks. Been busy with work recently, so not as far along as I'd like by now, but the front end is coming together.
    This photo was yesterday, the front end is all made, dry fitted, and ready for glueing tomorrow. Grille with black wire mesh in the middle, and fog lights/ drl on the outside. Will update with photos soon.

    Edit: 'Before'photo added

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for Sam_Doman

    Soak it in Plus Gas (or whatever penetrating oil), then gently tap it. Try to avoid 'smacking it', unless all else fails.

  • in Miscellaneous and Meaningless
    Avatar for Sam_Doman

    Been working on the brat this afternoon. Now all the structural stuff is done, so I tackled the front near-side wheel arch, which was the worst of the body work. Quite an enjoyable process: took a template off the other side of the car, to make the perpendicular lip, and tacked that in first, to hold everything in position while I made the repair pieces. Made cardboard templates, to cut out the sheet metal repair pieces, then hammered the compound curves into them until they matched the existing shape of the arches, then welded them in. Simple really. Happy with the results- the overall shape is good, and it all feels solid again. Obviously needs the welds polishing flush and a skim of filler before painting, but hopefully it should look about right...

Actions