All good down here in the blackdowns, particularly now the worst of the rain and snow seems to have passed, and we have brilliant blue skies.
In terms of the project, we are pretty much wrapping up stage 1, with the actual house build down, we did have a fair bit of fun with it, as we discovered once we stripped off the render and plaster, things were in a worse state than we hoped for.
All the internal wood was completely rotten ( a combo of dry rot, wet rot and beetle infestation!) which meant we had to strip the house back to 4 walls. Then we had to make a tough decision, as the stone walls were in such a bad condition we have to make a choice between knocking the whole house down and starting again (the cheapest option!), rebuilding the walls with original stone (the nicest option but unfortunately budget wouldn’t stretch to it), so we made the decision to make a Frankenstein house with it rebuilt with block where needed.
Anyway we got round it all, and with only a few minor hiccups for to a point where we have a finished house which we are happy with. Have spent the last few months sorting out the front garden, which involved hand filling gabion baskets with about 50 tonnes of stone which I have dug out of old collapsed barns in the garden. Once those were in place, we bought in about 40 tonnes of topsoil to level it all up, then turfed, hopefully once all done and grown up we will have a nice cottage garden.
Next stage is to get the back garden sorted, have already converted the old calving shed into a workshop.
Next is to level with gabions again and then build a deck that wraps around the back of the house, but that involves digging 55 posts into the ground…