Avatar for Verbs_&_Nouns

Verbs_&_Nouns

Member since Oct 2008 • Last active Aug 2017

Most recent activity

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for Verbs_&_Nouns

    Finally made some more progress this week, albeit not much. Installed one water bottle cage. The seat tube one might interfere with the front derailleur, so I didn't bother. It's not a real issue anyway. Rear derailleur and chain went on. The chain should be long enough. Also installed the brakes. I haven't been able to connect the shifters and brakes yet as I'm waiting for the stem to come in the post. Hopefully it's delivered today (EDIT: It's waiting for me at home). Ended up getting a secondhand 85mm long Nitto UI-5EX stem. Once I have that, I'll be able to put the bars on and cable it up. The stem looks like this:

    And it also looks like it says "UI SEX", which is kinda funny.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for Verbs_&_Nouns

    Nothing. Just cleaned the frame with warm soapy water and gave it a wipe over with methylated spirits / ethanol to remove any grease or grime.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for Verbs_&_Nouns

    Thinking going with Maxxis DTH or Tioga Powerblock. Both are cheap and easily available in Australia.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for Verbs_&_Nouns

    Yeah, because the knobs on the side of the tyre, it rubs, so I can't get it closer to the tyre. Once I adjust the front it'll look better. Hopefully I'll be running bigger, smoother tyres in the near future as well.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for Verbs_&_Nouns

    Finally got a few spare hours to start putting it together. Surprisingly enough it's going together reasonably smooth. Touch wood.

    Cranks and pedals are now on. Went to put the front derailleur on, but the shim I was using was too thick, luckily I dug around in my parts box and found the original shim that came with it and it now fits fine.

    Headset and fork installed, as well as the stem adapter. Played around with the spacers and put the bracket for the Yepp on as well to see clearance . Can't do much until I get the stem though, hopefully that will only be a few weeks.

    Also fitted the mudguards. They're not as close as I would like, unlike my other bikes, but they'll do. The front one can't sit any lower, but an increase in tyre size and a less knobby tyre will solve that issue in the future. These are only 26x1.9.

    Looking forward to finishing it soon.

    EDIT: Disregard the saddle as well. I've got a Brooks to go on there.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for Verbs_&_Nouns

    Not much progress on this. Bought the cables, outers, ferrules, cable ends on Saturday. Also got some Velo Orange Moderniste bottle cages. I've been using them on my other two builds and dig them.

    EDIT: Also got a stick on cable guide for the rear brake as I'm using v-brakes and this has cable routing for canti's.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for Verbs_&_Nouns

    I think MicroShift make an 11 speed compatible bar end friction shifter. If not, and you're on Facebook, join a triathlon marketplace. That's where I got my SRAM 10 speed bar end shifters from.

    Also, I've been using a GXP BB on my Space Horse with second hand Rival cranks for the last 2 years. No issues whatever.

Actions