Brand new to single-speeds...Looking to build/buy a nice one for commuting as my Giant Escape 1 is dying.
Most recent activity
Not sure this is the right sub-forum but here goes...
My old Giant Escape 1 has been sitting on the balcony neglected these past few months. It was my daily ride for 5-odd years and I pretty much road it into the ground. Now I'm questioning what I should do with it.
Here is what's wrong with it:
- All 3 chainrings need replacing, particularly the middle.
- Rear cassette needs replacing; rear rim probably doesn't have much life left.
- Chain has had the bisket.
- Shifter triggers (Shimano Altus) are broken. Left side fell apart years ago. Right side is missing the number indicator.
- Grips need replacing
- Rubber portion on brake levers have perished.
- Pedals have all but disintigrated and are possibly fused to crank arms. They may need drilling out.
- Seat has a tear.
- There is damage to the seat tube from the bike lock clamp
- There is worse damage to the down tube where the D-lock rubbed over the years.
TBH, I was pretty slack at maintenance.
As I see it these are the options:
1) Sell it as is.
2) Spend a little as possible to get it ridable and sell it.
3) Split it and sell it?
4) Turn it into a SS gravel bike to eke a bit more life out of it.
Thought I ask what people here thought. What should I do with it?
Yep. Everything is still available. I'm open to sensible offers.
Price drop: £35 (+ postage)
Hmmm, fair point.
I've still got the carbon fork but I've also changed the headset. The top cap that came with the headset required a different expander. Changing the fork is on the cards, but not for a while.
I've changed out the cockpit so the below are now surplus to needs.
Based in Oxford but happy to post at cost. Prices listed exclude postage. Would prefer to sell as an assembly, but can split if need be.
- Cane Creek SCR-5 brake levers. Black. Pair. Very good condition. £25
- Deda RHM01 drop bars. 40cm width. Very good condition though I
haven't had the bar tape off (I bought my bike off the forum). £10
- Deda 01 stem. 90mm length. 31.7mm bar clamp. 1.1/8" fork clamp. The screws are showing a few signs of rust but the stem is otherwise in good condition. £10
- FSA compressor adjuster and stem spacer. 1.1/8" clamp. £2 (or free + postage if sold separately).
Price for assembly: £47 (+ postage)