Avatar for AlphabetWeetbix

AlphabetWeetbix

Member since Jan 2017 • Last active Sep 2021
  • 2 conversations
  • 9 comments

Most recent activity

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for AlphabetWeetbix

    There's some issues since resolved.

    Those Campagnolo brake levers do more flexing than cable pulling. I want my decelleration to be more than coincidental to pulling the lever. They've been replaced with some Shimano 105. Again 2 left levers, this is becoming a theme. Brakes much improved.

    Top tube internal cable routing is blocked with who knows what / rusted out. Even the trusty method of using a TIG welding rod as a pipe cleaner failed. Cue electrical tape to hold cable housing for now.

    The headset didn't so much turn as click through about 5 degrees of motion each time you turned the bars. Replacement of crown race and lower bearing got things moving smoothly.

    The crackling sound of dry brittle tires can only be ignored temporarily. Lucky I made it to the gas station and return without explosion. Some Conti GP 4000s will do the job for now.

    So even though I've not spent a cent it's totally over capitalised in terms of time spent. A great result for me. It's comfy and just maybe I could squeeze a little shine out of the paint in future.

    A big thanks if you've read this far.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for AlphabetWeetbix

    And we're rolling.

    Dura Ace cranks to match the rear derailleur and Alesa rims for the classic dark anodized look.
    Cinelli bar and panto stem for a little bit of flash, comfortable Campagnolo brake levers for some "technopolymer", and Shimano Ultegra brakes because decelleration is important.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for AlphabetWeetbix

    I kept the front and rear derailleur, seatpost and shifters. Two left shifters as it turns out.

    The paint,as much as is present, is pretty shabby. The chrome too. I still love it.

    Version 1 of mock up not far away.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for AlphabetWeetbix

    It might not be the perfect machine for a Laurent Fignon tribute bike, but it was cheap and not far away.

    A dogs breakfast parts wise. Maybe the Dura Ace rear derailleur and brakes are original.

    Im hoping my parts bin has enough parts to make a fun era correct ish rider. The finished product will be ratty at best.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for AlphabetWeetbix

    Very basic parts used but they do the job. Now to give it a good clean and hopefully It'll look better.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for AlphabetWeetbix

    I do things backwards compared to many projects I read about here. Bikes just get thrown together quick, and if they seem decent they get a little finessing and shining on.

    Apart from a having to swap BB axles to suit the new cranks, and lacking a cable for the rear brake things went smoothly enough.

    Test ride along the river survived without incident. It's worthy candidate for some love.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for AlphabetWeetbix

    It looked a little worse for wear when I dragged it out.
    The plan is simply to get rid of the heavy steel parts and make it a reliable transporter. Will be using second hand parts I have at hand. No rust will be harmed in the process.

  • in Current Projects
    Avatar for AlphabetWeetbix

    I found this monster of a Miyata Town Runner on a neighbourhood clean up a few years ago.
    I rode it a while and liked it so much I thought it deserved a tidy up. The all steel group set had to go.Theres probably a potential weight saving of 1kg + in the cranks alone.
    Then life got in the way so I hid it under a tarpaulin in the backyard.
    It has only recently re emerged.

Actions