Middle aged bike obsessive who should definitely be doing something else right now.
Most recent activity
Just finished the 26” or 650 bike.
I used some parts from the 20” build, Di2 parts, saddle, seat post, brakes.
New parts- Wheels (obvs), drop bars , levers, lovely Stronglight chainset (150mm cranks 34t ring and chain guard).
I am moved, beautiful, thanks for sharing.
Hello Mr Skid,
If you still have the forks I'll take 'em, Spuik shoes too if you are still here!
These reason for the random orange paint?
I already had an unused rattle can from a previous project that never got past the primer stage- I thought it looked good in grey.
At last, I think we can call the frame finished. Now it’s time to put the thing together.
The frame post repairs.
Needs some filler and some paint. Nothing fancy, I won't be trying to restore the original finish, just something to make it decent and protect from the elements- i.e. UV and moisture.
The Continental Tubs are not glued yet, just stretching for a day or two to make final fit easier.
It's going to have Di2 rear mech and Super Record, single ring crankset.
There was a small crack right along the top of the tube, about 20mm long.
I sanded the area down to the carbon weave, stop sanding when the dust turns black.
- Masked up with electrical tape, the resin won't stick to it as it would with masking tape.
- Cut three small patches of the carbon cloth, each a little bigger than the last.
- Mixed up half the supplied epoxy resin. Painted the resin over the repair area.
- Applied the first (smallest) patch followed by more resin.
- Repeat for the remaining two patches. The carbon cloth is a pretty fragile weave and needs to be handled with care.
- Cover the area with release film- the white sheet on the bench, then wrap with in the blue plastic film.
- I then tried to use a heat shrink wrap, but my heat gun (the other half hair dryer!) wasn't hot enough so I ditched that and wrapped tightly in more electrical tape. Leave for 24 hours.