I don't think my garage potterings are interesting enough for their own thread, so here's a catch all for odd little bits you're up to.
I just picked up this Woden 186B/3 with a view to a cleaning it up a bit and giving it a coat of paint.
Terrible picture from my ancient iPhone but I just put a wooden work bench up in my basement.
Vice not bolted on yet and drill press position only temporary
Drill envy. Started stripping the vice - the nut that holds the nut in is a bit seized so I've started things off with WD40.
Crap, my non-bike project thread is now redundant and could probably fit here. Nevermind. @umop3pisdn glad I'm not the only one with with a vice for vices. The trickiest part of refurbing my Record was removing the screws that hold the jaws on. Patience, WD40 and mainly a manual impact driver helped a lot. Studying your workbench it looks like you're covered.
My brother refurbished his vice as well, after watching this video.
Stage one rust removal with an overnight soak in citric acid
So, I needed a place at home to sit behind a computer (iPad and keyboard) and pretend to do actual work. Problem is my apartment is 30m2 and I really didn’t want to put a desk in there. Lying on the couch and using the screen to type didn’t cut it either anymore. I do have a low bookcase on one wall, an IKEA Besta, 65cm high/ 40cm deep/ 240cm long. And I have acces to a shitload of scrapped oak beer benches that have been sitting in a field during the aftermath of our first lockdown. The oak tops are very weathered and the legs are rusted. So we’ve taken them apart and I (we) can use the boards as we like. Cue running nine of those boards through a sanding planer, squaring them off with a big big table saw, and glueing them together to form worktops that I cut to shape. I used lamellos/cookies to strengthen the bond between the boards and the gnarliest tears and knots got filled with clear epoxy. I sprayed on one coat of clear laquer before bringing them home to see how they fit before bringing them to work again to finish them with a few more coats of laquer. I’ll fit a simple plinth under the bookcases to raise them up to the required hight, 9cm should do it.
Result: lost minimal floor space, minimal visual clutter, gained minimal work spot...
Oo, that's lovely. Top work!
wow. that's really nice. Bravo.
Vice restoration then. Soaked this nut in plusgas but it wasn't shifting, so it got snipped.
Citric acid took some of the rust off, there was still quite a lot of paint left. A wire wheel sorted this.
Masked, painted and a new split cotter pin for the spring assembly.
Greased and reassembled. I'm not sure whether or not to highlight the lettering in white, and need to decide where it's going on the bench but in very happy.
Don't worry about formatting, just type in the text and we'll take care of making sense of it. We will auto-convert links, and if you put asterisks around words we will make them bold.
For a full reference visit the Markdown syntax.
© LFGSS, powered by microcosm.
Report a problem
London Fixed Gear and Single-Speed is a community of predominantly fixed gear and single-speed cyclists in and around London, UK.
This site is supported almost exclusively by donations. Please consider donating a small amount regularly.