Architecture and interior design thread

Posted on
of 103
  • I need a furniture thing and i'm not sure what it is. It's for a lower ground floor in a mid terrace. Door opens into the r/h corner of a living room which is then open through to the kitchen. I want to partially divide the room to create a sort of separated entrance hallway area which so I can put a sofa the other side of it at 90 degrees to the door. The fireplace, stereo and TV which are on the wall to the left as you come in. At present there's no way of pointing furniture at the fireplace etc without them feeling a bit lost in the middle room with the front door lurking uncomfortably behind you. Does that make sense?

    Initially thought something constructed to full height, possibly involving glass brick. Then I thought something less permanent in the guise of room divider. Now i'm thinking perhaps just nice open/double sided bookcase would do it. Doesn't really need to be much higher than the head height of someone seated on the sofa the other side of it in order to create that sense of separation and a more cosy vibe on the other side.

    Rest of the furniture is a mix of mid century (natch) and odds and sods. Anyone seen anything that would fit the bill?

  • Any interest here in an Anstey and Wilson sunburst clock? Original, works as well as it ever did, lovely condition. I'll grab a couple of photos later if there's interest.
    They seem to go anywhere from £100 up to a frankly stupid £500+
    I think £75 is fair?

    Here you go.... as long as it's for your own use, and not going to be spun out on fuckbay ....

    3 Attachments

    • IMG_1560.JPG
    • IMG_1561.JPG
    • IMG_1562.JPG
  • People with wooden floors in your kitchen, what do you cover the floor with? I currently have a cheap carpet which I backed with silicone but it's coming off and therefore slippery, plus I can't wash it.
    All the mats I have seen so far are ugly as hell (see below) and would ruin my carefully curated interior.

  • Is it proper wood, or laminate?

    We just out a new solid wood floor in and we’re gonna let it wear. If it looks shit in a few years we’ll sand it it down and start over

  • Is it just for water protection around the sink area?
    We have an outdoor mat that will hold water till it evaporates, all black rubber though.­-master-mat-3-x-4-ft-0686384p.html#srp

  • It's laminate, and yes, it's to keep the floor clean from splashes (it looks dirty really quickly without it). All rubber mats I have shown to my better half have been met with "I don't want something for a car boot".

  • Embrace your inner garage monkey.

  • I have shown her @danstuff's interior. She was not impressed.

  • Has his place been featured here? Can't recall the look.

  • this

    1 Attachment

    • 8ECE695A-2E62-4377-BAE7-CB4C8B8AC479.jpeg
  • That’s more or less what we need yep. Bespoke?

  • Something might come up here­0divider&idx=Listing_production&p=0&dFR%­5Bsold%5D%5B0%5D=false&search=
    Or do what I do and use it for ideas and find something cheaper elsewhere.

  • I have shown her @danstuff's interior.


  • Friendliest forum on the internet.

  • What is the correct english/international term for the role of the architect that oversees the entire building process? Those who hire engineers and contracters etc.
    In Danish it’s totalrådgiver which translates losely to total consultant...

  • Project manager?

  • Lead Designer normally (though we won't directly hire the engineers and contractors due to associated risk, just recommend to the client)

  • That's something different though, isn't it? From my understanding, the lead designer is the design counterpart of the general contractor and @drøn is looking for the function that combines both.

    (English isn't my native language, in German it's called Totalunternehmer (total contractor), while the general contractor is called Generalunternehmer (literal translation of the englisch term) and the lead designer is called Generalplaner (general planner)).

  • totalrådgiver

    That is definitely my new career.

  • If you are hiring the consultants and contractors directly (ie. The client has only one contact to deal with - with you) then I think the closest would be management contractor. If you coordinate everything but client still has many contracts to sign, then you are construction manager. I don't know if the fact you are also designer/architect makes a difference.

  • Finn Juhl house 👌🏼

    1 Attachment

    • 9CC47BA4-88D3-46D3-88A5-0B8A981BB3B7.jpeg
  • Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • Image
    • List
    • Quote
    • code
    • Preview

Architecture and interior design thread

Posted by Avatar for coppiThat @coppiThat