• Another thing is that you, as a person who has been filmed by those CCTV cameras, can apply to their operator for copies of the footage under the Data Protection Act. By law there should be a sign near the camera telling you who the operator is and how to contact them. They are unlikely to want to go through the hassle of making a copy but you have a legal right so press for it. They are allowed to charge an admin fee, but I think it's limited to £10. Make the application in writing and keep copies of the application and their response.

    Another thing is that physical injuries talk even more loudly than money. You can't sue for emotional distress but there is a list of suggested sums for each physical injury. An interesting fact is that girls get more than guys for facially disfiguring injuries because their looks are judged to be more important. This seems to be based ona view that girls need to get married to have a secure future.

    I know because I brought a civil case after getting fubarred by a black cab - broken nose, loosened teeth, concussion, 7 stitches in my chin and temporary amnesia. Was reimbursed for my bike, incidentals like medical supplies and travel, the time my girlfriend spent helping me and all my injuries. Took about 18 months and was a fair bit of hassle but I ended up getting a good chunk of cash and I was spurred on by the fact that it really wasn't my fault. The police were fuck-all help in following things up although they helped scrape me off the road.

    Yeah, I wasn't very clear on this point. I'll clear it up. But yes, broken bike or broken bones,etc both mean you can sue/seek compensation.

    I was writing from the point of view of a particular incident. One where the driver ran a traffic signal and hit the cyclist. The cyclist though sore was unharmed as was the bike. However the driver was still charged with not heeding the traffic signal, however the cyclist would have a hard time suing the driver just for hitting him.


Avatar for roxy @roxy started