• Hope this is the right place to ask... I’ve just moved to a new house where the router is in the front room.

    There is a wired cat5 link to the back room which I have set up as an office/studio space and I’d like to have another access point there for wifi and wired connection. Do I need a bridge, a switch or something else?

    My old router can be set up as a bridge, but no matter how I’ve looked it up I’ve not been able to figure out the actual difference between a switch and a bridge and the potential pros and cons...?!

    Sorry if it’s a bit of a dumb question!

  • You need a switch for the wired connections, and an access point for the wireless connections. Or a device that can do both.

    Forget the bridge bit, not relevant in this case. That's about joining multiple networks.

    Given you have a spare router, configure it as an access point, and test to (a) confirm it acts as a switch (b) see if wireless handoff is really an issue.

    Then worry about whether you need new kit.

  • That’s great, thank you! So it will be a case of connecting it to the main router via the wan port and set up the wifi (possibly with the same id/pswrd as the main?) as I normally would?


Avatar for chez_jay @chez_jay started