• Hope this is the right place to ask... I’ve just moved to a new house where the router is in the front room.

    There is a wired cat5 link to the back room which I have set up as an office/studio space and I’d like to have another access point there for wifi and wired connection. Do I need a bridge, a switch or something else?

    My old router can be set up as a bridge, but no matter how I’ve looked it up I’ve not been able to figure out the actual difference between a switch and a bridge and the potential pros and cons...?!

    Sorry if it’s a bit of a dumb question!

  • I’ve got a version of this, and I run the Ethernet cable to a switch and then run another Ethernet cable to a wifi access point.
    Having a switch there means I can also cable up the desktop and my missus laptop if the wifi connection drops out for any reason..

  • You need a switch for the wired connections, and an access point for the wireless connections. Or a device that can do both.

    Forget the bridge bit, not relevant in this case. That's about joining multiple networks.

    Given you have a spare router, configure it as an access point, and test to (a) confirm it acts as a switch (b) see if wireless handoff is really an issue.

    Then worry about whether you need new kit.

  • If you have the cash I'd advise turning off WiFi in your router, add a switch in the office (~£30) and a pair of dedicated access points (eg Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE ~£75 each).

    Switch in the office has three ports in use (to the router, to the AP and to your PC in there). Your router probably has a switch to connect the front AP.


Avatar for alex_s @alex_s started