So, in a few weeks we are expecting our first child. This alone is exciting / scary, but as my wife and I both love riding, it also gives me an excuse to start building up another bike, dedicated to rad dad duties so my Space Horse can stay as my commuter and everything else bike. Initially I wanted a Bullitt cargo bike, but the size, cost and lack of transportability kind of put me off of it. It'd be great for short trips around town, but not if we went away anywhere with bikes. I know that our kid can't go on a bike for quite a while (~9 months), but this hasn't stopped me from starting this build. The plan is a steel tourer running 1x9 with a Yepp Mini front mounted child seat, front basket, full mudguards and flat pedals.
Anyway, starting going through parts to get the build going.
Stuff I have:
• Australian built Paconi steel touring frame with threaded forks / headset, rack mounts, canti / v-brake posts (on its way in the post)
• Salsa steel quill stem (90°)
• Tokyo Bike town bars (stolen from the now dead Cannondale Rack)
• Brooks B17 Team Pro
• Tektro v-brakes (may have to run canti's because of narrow spacing)
• Shimano 9 speed 11-32 cassette
• Shimano 9 speed Sora rear derailleur
• Giant TCX wheel set
• Wipperman Connex 9 speed chain
• Ofmega Mistral track cranks
• Jet Black flat MTB pedals
• Tektro FL750 brake levers (in the post)
Two issues I might have is that the track cranks are 144bcd, and the smallest chainring is 42t and canti's don't have the stopping power that I really want. The forks aren't original, so might be able to run it as a mullet (v-brake on front, canti on rear).
Stuff I need:
• Yepp mini kids seat
• Powdercoat for the frame (it's pretty ratty)
• Tyres / tubes (something 32c +)
• Mudguards (probably silver Velo Orange)
• 9 speed Shimano trigger shifter
• Grips. Considering going for cork grips or something like the Ergon cork grips or PDW Whiskey Grips. Not Champs or Oury.
• Spur Cycle bell
• Randonneur front rack (probably Velo Orange) to zip tie basket to
• Basket - Wald or similar
• Velo Orange Moderniste bottle cages
• Seat post (depending on frame)
• Rear reflector / light for mudguard. I just like the aesthetics of them on rear mudguards.
• Double leg kickstand
© LFGSS, powered by microcosm.
Report a problem
London Fixed Gear and Single-Speed is a community of predominantly fixed gear and single-speed cyclists in and around London, UK.
This site is supported almost exclusively by donations. Please consider donating a small amount regularly.