A A A A
2012-05-13 - Oxford town and gown race
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012   #151
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Humm, you could, but if the brushes do indeed only cost £6, with a secure screw on fitting to the end of the drain rod, it might be the more secure and sensible way of proceeding....
... so does the £6 incl. a section of drain rod?
if not, I have a set of drain rods with about 6 sections which I can lend out
  quote   reply
Old 12th April 2012   #152
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian (conker) View Post
... so does the £6 incl. a section of drain rod?
if not, I have a set of drain rods with about 6 sections which I can lend out
Good call. The £6 is purely for the brush head. That and two drain rods, and I think we are job done.

I am going to have a word iwth Bearfoot tomorrow night, before the wheels come off the bus on the Guinness Ride, and see if we can get a bulk order in for 6 brush heads, and we can then divi up the drain rods, so all sweeps are suitably attired.
  quote   reply
Old 12th April 2012   #153
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
I'll see how many drain rod sections. I have in case they're needed.
  quote   reply
Old 12th April 2012   #154
esstee
 
esstee's Avatar
Out. I'm not going to be in the country this weekend now. Gutted as I was really looking forward to this, especially the fancy dress (not so much the running). As I can't make I'll get you sponsored. Have a great ride and run.

1. 50/14.
2. Bernie
3. Poots
4. HoKe
5.
6. OneLessCardigan
7. JoePablo
8. bothwell
9. BlueQuinn
10. eyebrows
11. conker
12. BianchMasher
13. Eamesy
14. Tommmmmmmmmmm
15. Marky
16. almac68
17. hats
18. Cafewanda
  quote   reply
Old 12th April 2012   #155
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
Blimey, that was quick. I sent out a "begging letter" this morning and I've already had two donations!

also, I. checked and have 10 x 90cm drain rod sections, including 1 which is bent!
  quote   reply
Old 12th April 2012   #156
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by esstee View Post
Out. I'm not going to be in the country this weekend now. Gutted as I was really looking forward to this, especially the fancy dress (not so much the running). As I can't make I'll get you sponsored. Have a great ride and run.

1. 50/14.
2. Bernie
3. Poots
4. HoKe
5.
6. OneLessCardigan
7. JoePablo
8. bothwell
9. BlueQuinn
10. eyebrows
11. conker
12. BianchMasher
13. Eamesy
14. Tommmmmmmmmmm
15. Marky
16. almac68
17. hats
18. Cafewanda
Really sorry to hear you cannot join us, but if you could drum up some sponsorship that would be brill.

Oh, and everyone is welcome to tag along to the Guinness Ride tomorrow night. Please speak to me really slowly, if you are there after the second pub
  quote   reply
Old 12th April 2012   #157
apollodonor
 
apollo's Avatar
I'll take spot 5 then :)

1. 50/14.
2. Bernie
3. Poots
4. HoKe
5. Apolloxl
6. OneLessCardigan
7. JoePablo
8. bothwell
9. BlueQuinn
10. eyebrows
11. conker
12. BianchMasher
13. Eamesy
14. Tommmmmmmmmmm
15. Marky
16. almac68
17. hats
18. Cafewanda
  quote   reply
Old 12th April 2012   #158
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxl View Post
I'll take spot 5 then :)

1. 50/14.
2. Bernie
3. Poots
4. HoKe
5. Apolloxl
6. OneLessCardigan
7. JoePablo
8. bothwell
9. BlueQuinn
10. eyebrows
11. conker
12. BianchMasher
13. Eamesy
14. Tommmmmmmmmmm
15. Marky
16. almac68
17. hats
18. Cafewanda
Top man. Welcome aboard.
  quote   reply
Old 13th April 2012   #159
esstee
 
esstee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Really sorry to hear you cannot join us, but if you could drum up some sponsorship that would be brill.

Oh, and everyone is welcome to tag along to the Guinness Ride tomorrow night. Please speak to me really slowly, if you are there after the second pub
Yeah I hope to swing by the first pub if I have time, but likely only able to stay for the one. Looks like there's gonna be carnage out there later.
  quote   reply
Old 13th April 2012   #160
hatsdonor
 
hats's Avatar
I just got an email from the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign pointing out that it's only 4 weeks until race day. I am now getting worried, I really have not done the amount of training I need to do (as in, I've been for a run 5 times this year...).

Oh well. Guinness will make it all better.
  quote   reply
Old 13th April 2012   #161
apollodonor
 
apollo's Avatar
5? I've done no running whatsoever since high school track
  quote   reply
Old 13th April 2012   #162
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hats View Post
I just got an email from the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign pointing out that it's only 4 weeks until race day. I am now getting worried, I really have not done the amount of training I need to do (as in, I've been for a run 5 times this year...).

Oh well. Guinness will make it all better.

  quote   reply
Old 13th April 2012   #163
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxl View Post
5? I've done no running whatsoever since high school track
Yeah, right.....

  quote   reply
Old 13th April 2012   #164
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by esstee View Post
Yeah I hope to swing by the first pub if I have time, but likely only able to stay for the one. Looks like there's gonna be carnage out there later.
PM sent with mobile, to confirm location.
  quote   reply
Old 13th April 2012   #165
hatsdonor
 
hats's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxl View Post
5? I've done no running whatsoever since high school track
My idea of a run is a very short jog around the block. You ran on a track, you're WAY ahead of me!
  quote   reply
Old 13th April 2012   #166
bothwelldonor
 
bothwell's Avatar
1. 50/14.
2. Bernie
3. Poots
4. HoKe
5. Apolloxl
6. OneLessCardigan
7. JoePablo
8.
9. BlueQuinn
10. eyebrows
11. conker
12. BianchMasher
13. Eamesy
14. Tommmmmmmmmmm
15. Marky
16. almac68
17. hats
18. Cafewanda

My pass for this has been well and truly rescinded so am out. Have donated to your cause, good luck, guys!
  quote   reply
Old 14th April 2012   #167
Sally
 
Sally's Avatar
1. 50/14.
2. Bernie
3. Poots
4. HoKe
5. Apolloxl
6. OneLessCardigan
7. JoePablo
8. Sally
9. BlueQuinn
10. eyebrows
11. conker
12. BianchMasher
13. Eamesy
14. Tommmmmmmmmmm
15. Marky
16. almac68
17. hats
18. Cafewanda

I'm well up for this - and for the running part (train home though, right?). Will read the thread properly in a bit to work out what I need to do to enter the run etc.
  quote   reply
Old 14th April 2012   #168
pootsmanuva
 
pootsmanuva's Avatar
We're running home I think, with bikes strapped to backs. Come! Nice turn out from the ladies so far!



mnbt
  quote   reply
Old 14th April 2012   #169
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
I bought myself a chimney brush attachment for drain rod this morning - toolstation £5.25
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #170
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian (conker) View Post
I bought myself a chimney brush attachment for drain rod this morning - toolstation £5.25
Good man! Bearfoot was worried that the brushes he could source, were non compatible, thread wise. Have you a part number, so we can get the same kit?
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #171
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
I'm well up for this - and for the running part (train home though, right?). Will read the thread properly in a bit to work out what I need to do to enter the run etc.
Sally, great to have you on board. Plan is a "few" pints in the Turf Tavern, then train back to Paddington. I will be leading a posse saaaf of the river, so we all get home safely.

Will get a group save plan together, and also work out specific timings for the route, and meet up points for those not joining us at Tooting Broadway.
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #172
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian (conker) View Post
I bought myself a chimney brush attachment for drain rod this morning - toolstation £5.25

Got it.


Chimney Brush 400mm Dia.

Catalogue p112
Universal joint. Use with rods (Code 44934) and (Code 37178) not included.
CodeDeliveredLogin?Price inc VAT58372Chimney Brush 400mm Dia.Each13?£5.25


Any other attendees want one, so I can do a bulk order?
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #173
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
^ yup, that's it!
Okay, so I have ten drain rod sections including one with a 'kink-bend' in it, and the brush does fit the rods. Unfortunately the drain rods are a dull orange colour, so not as authentic as black, though they are only 92cm long - some makes are much longer and more unwieldy! The only thing I'm not sure about is getting them to other forumungers. I live in far north London and don't commute into town, so I could either try and schlepp them to wherever I meet up with you somewhere in west London, or if anyone else is going to be on the Tweed-Run marshalling recce rides, I could hand them over. I don't even want to begin to think about getting them back! - I suppose I'll have to ride them all back from Paddington to Southgate!
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #174
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian (conker) View Post
^ yup, that's it!
Okay, so I have ten drain rod sections including one with a 'kink-bend' in it, and the brush does fit the rods. Unfortunately the drain rods are a dull orange colour, so not as authentic as black, though they are only 92cm long - some makes are much longer and more unwieldy! The only thing I'm not sure about is getting them to other forumungers. I live in far north London and don't commute into town, so I could either try and schlepp them to wherever I meet up with you somewhere in west London, or if anyone else is going to be on the Tweed-Run marshalling recce rides, I could hand them over. I don't even want to begin to think about getting them back! - I suppose I'll have to ride them all back from Paddington to Southgate!
Good man Ian. I have some black rods and they are 90 cm. Two lengths would be more than enough, I am sure.

I am thinking of us meeting up for a chat and pre brief before we head away. South East drinks on Tuesday, 8th May, might be good for people, as it is just beyond London Bridge, so pretty central.

So, folks, how does that look for everyone?
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #175
apollodonor
 
apollo's Avatar
sounds good
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #176
rob.
1. 50/14.
2. Bernie
3. Poots
4. HoKe
5. Apolloxl
6. OneLessCardigan
7. JoePablo
8. Sally
9. BlueQuinn
10. eyebrows
11. conker
12. BianchMasher
13. Eamesy
14. Tommmmmmmmmmm
15. Marky
16. almac68
17. hats
18. Cafewanda
19. rob.
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #177
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
@bernie
are you actually going to clean out some chimneys? can't help thinking a single length of drain rod would suffice.

I'll pencil in tues 8 may, though depends on where i'm working then. Is it the Roebuck in Gt Dover St?
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #178
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian (conker) View Post
@bernie
are you actually going to clean out some chimneys? can't help thinking a single length of drain rod would suffice.

I'll pencil in tues 8 may, though depends on where i'm working then. Is it the Roebuck in Gt Dover St?
I did a test dance around the garage on Saturday, post Guinness Ride, and found the counter balance effect of two lengths, was preferable to one. Also, we need to be prepared to fight off the pitchforks of the locals, if they take offence at the "non Locals" invading their village.

Yes, SE drinks is the Roebuck. So a list, for a list...

1. Bernie
2. Apolloxl
3. Ian Conker.
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #179
BianchiMasher
 
BianchiMasher's Avatar
So a list, for a list...
Tuesday 8th May, Roebuck.

1. Bernie
2. Apolloxl
3. Ian Conker
4. BianchiMasher

Still need to workout the costume. If the girls are allowed to go as chimney sweeps I think I'll go for that one as it looks easier to put together.
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #180
hatsdonor
 
hats's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BianchiMasher View Post
Still need to workout the costume. If the girls are allowed to go as chimney sweeps I think I'll go for that one as it looks easier to put together.
I got mine on ebay for about a tenner - if you search for "edwardian" or "victorian" there are a whole host of outfits from theatre productions etc. But yes, the chimney sweep look does seem easier, and probably easier to cycle/run in than a full length dress...

In for the 8th:

1. Bernie
2. Apolloxl
3. Ian Conker
4. BianchiMasher
5. hats
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #181
Booga
 
Booga's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian (conker) View Post
@bernie
are you actually going to clean out some chimneys? can't help thinking a single length of drain rod would suffice.
If you're planning on carrying a brush and posing for photos etc then one rod will be fine, it's the ideal length for carrying over your shoulder.
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #182
eyebrowsdonor
 
eyebrows's Avatar
I've had some bad news about exam timetabling. (a week earlier than expected)
Gonna have to play it by ear. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with my work amount by that weekend, but it could be a bit complicated.
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #183
tommmmmmmdonor
 
tommmmmmm's Avatar
In for the 8th:

1. Bernie
2. Apolloxl
3. Ian Conker
4. BianchiMasher
5. hats
6. tom(etc.)

I'm in for some kind of group buy for brushes as well, though I agree that 90cm should suffice for length!
  quote   reply
Old 15th April 2012   #184
almac68donor
 
almac68's Avatar
I have a pair of telescopic walking sticks (not leki).. a brush fitting is all they need methinks..
  quote   reply
Old 16th April 2012   #185
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
possible problem with 8 may, It's my wedding anniversary
  quote   reply
Old 16th April 2012   #186
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian (conker) View Post
possible problem with 8 may, It's my wedding anniversary
Hah, and you have just worked that out?

I hope your "recollection" did not come after telling the good lady you would be out drinking with your cycling chums.
  quote   reply
Old 16th April 2012   #187
pootsmanuva
 
pootsmanuva's Avatar
What's this? A meeting? In a pub? In. When will papers be available/circulated?

1. Bernie
2. Apolloxl
3. Ian Conker
4. BianchiMasher
5. hats
6. tom(etc.)
7. la poots
  quote   reply
Old 16th April 2012   #188
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootsmanuva View Post
What's this? A meeting? In a pub? In. When will papers be available/circulated?

1. Bernie
2. Apolloxl
3. Ian Conker
4. BianchiMasher
5. hats
6. tom(etc.)
7. la poots
To save Ian's marriage, and private parts (I don't want him singing Chim chiminie in soprano anywhere near me) can we switch to the week before, being Tuesday, 1st May? Will give us a bit of time to iron out any issues which may arise.

Oh, and if we could get at least one train traveller to confirm, and to hopefully carry some kit, that would be brill. The train person would, of course, be more than welcome to run the race with us, or guard the bikes, and will receive ample beer reccompence when we arrive at the Turf.
  quote   reply
Old 16th April 2012   #189
Sally
 
Sally's Avatar
Yikes, I'm going to have to bail :(

I've just confirmed that I'll in fact be moving house on the 18th, which means that the weekend before is going to be packing central (I haz a lotta shit) and I'll be cream crackered by the Sunday even if I'm finished by then (so especially not up for a crack of dawn start).

Sorreeee. Should have checked my dates before getting all gung-ho with the list.

1. 50/14.
2. Bernie
3. Poots
4. HoKe
5. Apolloxl
6. OneLessCardigan
7. JoePablo
8.
9. BlueQuinn
10. eyebrows
11. conker
12. BianchMasher
13. Eamesy
14. Tommmmmmmmmmm
15. Marky
16. almac68
17. hats
18. Cafewanda
19. rob.
  quote   reply
Old 16th April 2012   #190
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
To save Ian's marriage, and private parts (I don't want him singing Chim chiminie in soprano anywhere near me) can we switch to the week before, being Tuesday, 1st May? Will give us a bit of time to iron out any issues which may arise.

**Oh, and if we could get at least one train traveller to confirm, and to hopefully carry some kit, that would be brill. The train person would, of course, be more than welcome to run the race with us, or guard the bikes, and will receive ample beer reccompence when we arrive at the Turf.
oh oh! Tuesday 1st I'll be on a pre-Tweed-Run recce ride!

** I asumed we'd be carrying all our stuff - I've even tried taping the drain rod to my crossbar!
  quote   reply
Old 16th April 2012   #191
cafewanda
 
cafewanda's Avatar
A list for a list. The Roebuck, Tuesday 1 May

1. Bernie
2. Apolloxl
3. Ian Conker
4. BianchiMasher
5. hats
6. tom(etc.)
7. la poots
8. Cafewanda (will be recovering from jetlag, so may be using PT)

Last edited by cafewanda; 16th April 2012 at 21:09. Reason: More information
  quote   reply
Old 16th April 2012   #192
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
A list for a list. The Roebuck, Tuesday 1 May

1. Bernie
2. Apolloxl
3.
4. BianchiMasher
5. hats
6. tom(etc.)
7. la poots
8. Cafewanda (will be recovering from jetlag, so may be using PT)

see above #190
  quote   reply
Old 17th April 2012   #193
apollodonor
 
apollo's Avatar
wait 2 lists?

I'm a bit confused...
  quote   reply
Old 17th April 2012   #194
Booga
 
Booga's Avatar
There's a 3rd list in the Oxford forum!
  quote   reply
Old 17th April 2012   #195
cafewanda
 
cafewanda's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxl View Post
wait 2 lists?

I'm a bit confused...
I've just had a Guinness, so I can explain.

Two lists: 1 for the actual ride and 1 for the planning meeting on 1 May. Simples innit :-0).
  quote   reply
Old 18th April 2012   #196
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafewanda View Post
I've just had a Guinness, so I can explain.

Two lists: 1 for the actual ride and 1 for the planning meeting on 1 May. Simples innit :-0).
Thank you.

Diamond award for clarity.
  quote   reply
Old 19th April 2012   #197
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Just added £50.55 to the Just Giving page, being 50% of the funds raised from the Guinness # 6 spoke cards.

Well done everyone on the fund raising, but we must be able to get the figure up to £1,000 with all those attending and this most worthy of causes.

Feel free to link in the Just Giving page to begging e mails, and threats of bribery, to family, friends and concubines.
  quote   reply
Old 19th April 2012   #198
hatsdonor
 
hats's Avatar
Great news Bernie! We’ve got just over 3 weeks to go so I’m sure we can raise a really good amount for such a good cause.

Don’t forget, if anyone would like me to add their name to the JustGiving page, just drop me a line and I’ll do it.

Meeting up at SE’s on the 1st (or the 8th) might be a bit more complicated as SE’s is on the move and won’t be at the Roebuck. Maybe we should choose another date/venue?
  quote   reply
Old 19th April 2012   #199
Berniedonor
 
Bernie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hats View Post
Great news Bernie! Weíve got just over 3 weeks to go so Iím sure we can raise a really good amount for such a good cause.

Donít forget, if anyone would like me to add their name to the JustGiving page, just drop me a line and Iíll do it.

Meeting up at SEís on the 1st (or the 8th) might be a bit more complicated as SEís is on the move and wonít be at the Roebuck. Maybe we should choose another date/venue?
Hats, good call.

Ian, when might you be able to make it? Maybe a pootle out on Saturday 28th April to Ryo, by junction of Glasshouse Street, and Berwick Street for a spot of lunch?

Has the most amazing udon, and sushi, as well as black Ashai beer. Went there first time on the Udon ride, and am now a regular repeat offender.
  quote   reply
Old 19th April 2012   #200
pootsmanuva
 
pootsmanuva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Hats, good call.

Ian, when might you be able to make it? Maybe a pootle out on Saturday 28th April to Ryo, by junction of Glasshouse Street, and Berwick Street for a spot of lunch?

Has the most amazing udon, and sushi, as well as black Ashai beer. Went there first time on the Udon ride, and am now a regular repeat offender.
Awesome idea - LCC Big Ride 12noon to 2pm and then noodle sex? Sorry, charity planning work?
  quote   reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Olympic Road Race Moonboy Rides & Races 1065 5th August 2012 20:38
2012-06-23 - 2012-07-08 London Festival of Architecture - leaders & marshals needed missmouse Rides & Races 104 6th July 2012 20:13
2012-01-04 - Rider Down, Oxford St (outside HMV) rhowe Rider Down 0 4th January 2012 17:18
2012-09-10 to 2012-10-07 - France & Italy Zebra Cyclist Rides & Races 0 3rd January 2012 18:19
2011-03-16 - Pedestrian (maybe) down, Oxford St near Oxford Circus rhowe Rider Down 4 18th March 2011 18:00

All times are GMT. The time now is 19:05.
Creative Commons License, BY-SA v2.0
no new posts