A A A A
Specialized OWNS Roubaix
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2013   #51
andypdonor
 
andyp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmah View Post
For Lawyers. For everyone else, it's another example of how the legal system is broken.
Not the legal system per se, rather the ridiculous nature of IP law, particularly in the USA (and Canada it would seem).

Specialized should never have been allowed to trademark 'Roubaix' in the first place, given that a) it's a physical town and b) there are dozens of examples of prior art in the cycling industry.

The fact that they've been able to and are now being weapons grade morons about it compounds the issue.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #52
johnnyhotdogdonor
 
johnnyhotdog's Avatar
Oh Specialized...



What's a suitable alternative for an S-Works Tarmac SL4 then? I don't think I fancy giving them any more money to be sending out cease and desist letters.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #53
_dan_
 
_dan_'s Avatar
But you're happy to wear Rapha no doubt?


Corporate company in unethical business practice shocker... Surprise.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #54
_dan_
 
_dan_'s Avatar
The war veteran angle of thst article really irks me. What the fuck has that got to do with anything?
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #55
Dammit
 
Dammit's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp View Post
Not the legal system per se, rather the ridiculous nature of IP law, particularly in the USA (and Canada it would seem).

Specialized should never have been allowed to trademark 'Roubaix' in the first place, given that a) it's a physical town and b) there are dozens of examples of prior art in the cycling industry.

The fact that they've been able to and are now being weapons grade morons about it compounds the issue.
Does prior art apply in the case of trademarks?

That's a patent thing, is it not?
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #56
daccordi
Rob Warner was UNT(c)
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #57
snottyotterdonor
 
snottyotter's Avatar
That was it.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #58
Lolodonor
 
Lolo's Avatar
Nice to see that Specialized use their free time between fork recalls constructively...
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #59
johnnyhotdogdonor
 
johnnyhotdog's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dan_ View Post
But you're happy to wear Rapha no doubt?


Corporate company in unethical business practice shocker... Surprise.
I'm not sure how the two are related....
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #60
_Zed_donor
 
_Zed_'s Avatar
Rapha lawyers issued a cease and desist letter to Torm apparel.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #61
johnnyhotdogdonor
 
johnnyhotdog's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zed_ View Post
Rapha lawyers issued a cease and desist letter to Torm apparel.
Yes.

I know that but that's slightly different isn't it? As far as I can see, the only thing linking the two is a letter.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #62
sumo
 
sumo's Avatar
He may mean how Rapha stole their name from an earlier company
http://inrng.com/2012/05/original-rapha-history/
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #63
andypdonor
 
andyp's Avatar
They didn't steal it, they bought the right to use it.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #64
sumo
 
sumo's Avatar
potato's potato's
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #65
andypdonor
 
andyp's Avatar
Like so many other brands, Rapha wanted to buy into cycling's past to try and reflect some glory. But at least they did it the right way and paid the trademark holder for his long defunct trademark. If you can't see the difference between that and what the corporate wankers at Specialized are then there is little hope for you.

Lets not lose sight of the issue here, Specialized are using their power to damage a small business by using bullying tactics.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #66
mdcc_testerdonor
 
mdcc_tester's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dan_ View Post
The war veteran angle of thst article really irks me. What the fuck has that got to do with anything?
Nothing except that it makes good copy. Classic tabloid journalism, they like to make it really clear to their readers where their sympathy should lie.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #67
Oswalddonor
^ this +1

The funniest thing about reading this story on the various forums it's breaking on are the comments “Well, I was gonna buy a Specialized. Blah blah.” Like everyone didn’t know or didn’t care about what a company’s culture was and now it's like .. what?!

So which brand are they going to buy now? Trek.. http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_14499829

If you dig deep enough, you will find this happens all the time, whether it’s a bicycle company or cat food company. The only reason this is getting copy is the war veteran angle ..
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #68
Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
The only reason this is getting copy is the war veteran angle ..
No, it's getting good copy (and plenty of support for the little guy) because most people who aren't complete fucking retards realise that Specialized took the Roubaix name from a bicycle race that is 78 years older than itself, and is now attempting to assert that the name is its own property.

Purist bottles aside, the only Specialized item I own is an S1 helmet. Tragically, it must be thrown away due to a recent accident. Ah. Might buy a Giro instead.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #69
Oswalddonor
Oh really .. so were was the support for the 'little guy' when Specialized threatened to withhold inventory from shops carrying Giro cycling shoes?

These shops were told they would not receive their year-end purchase volume incentives if they continued to sell Giro cycling shoes. As a result, Specialized dealers who carry Giro shoes had to cancel orders or ask Giro to take back inventory on their shelves .. Easton-Bell Sports dropped the suit it filed against Specialized for that alleged action.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #70
JamesSW
 
JamesSW's Avatar
perhaps it's to do with the recent addition of bike parts with roubaix on them that the guy sells , maybe specialized has to do this to protect it's bikes , has anyone seen the actual trademark yet?
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #71
ian (conker)donor
 
ian (conker)'s Avatar
my roubaix tights have just been supoena'd while I was in Picadilly Circus. Very embarassing - and cold
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #72
PinkGottiMobbs
 
PinkGottiMobbs's Avatar
This is all just an elaborate plan to get Lance Armstrong to ride for them. 'Look, we are bullys as well, ride Speshys not Treks'. Or something.


(rides off on his S-Works).
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #73
Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSW View Post
maybe specialized has to do this to protect it's bikes , has anyone seen the actual trademark yet?
What do you mean, 'protect'? Specialized have an equal right to sell goods marked with the word 'Roubaix'. It's a place name, for fuck's sake. Half the cunts buying those bikes are just directed towards them by a shop assistant after relaying their story of piles/sciatica/whatever. They know fuck-all about Paris-Roubaix.
The point here is not to stop Specialized selling 'Roubaix' bikes, merely to point out that they shouldn't try to monopolise that name.

As for the Giro thing... I'm sure it made the rounds in the industry. If anyone there had cared to make it the general public's business, I'd have likely heard about it. But I didn't.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #74
JamesSW
 
JamesSW's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
What do you mean, 'protect'? Specialized have an equal right to sell goods marked with the word 'Roubaix'. It's a place name, for fuck's sake. Half the cunts buying those bikes are just directed towards them by a shop assistant after relaying their story of piles/sciatica/whatever. They know fuck-all about Paris-Roubaix.
The point here is not to stop Specialized selling 'Roubaix' bikes, merely to point out that they shouldn't try to monopolise that name.

As for the Giro thing... I'm sure it made the rounds in the industry. If anyone there had cared to make it the general public's business, I'd have likely heard about it. But I didn't.
I'm in anyway knowlegeable about trademarking but afaik you have to defend it otherwise risk losing it
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #75
andypdonor
 
andyp's Avatar
I repeat, the point is that they should never have tried to get, or been granted, the bloody trademark.

That they choose to defend it compounds their utter cuntfuckery.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #76
Dammit
 
Dammit's Avatar
Once they've got it they have to defend it- it's part of the obligations of being a trademark holder.

Of course, I think you could argue that they're plowing a very wide furough in order to conflate "Cafe Roubaix" with a "Roubaix bicycle".
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #77
andypdonor
 
andyp's Avatar
I shouted 'Allez' at Howard in a cross race recently. Should I expect a law suit any day now?
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #78
Dammit
 
Dammit's Avatar
Are you a war vet?
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #79
andypdonor
 
andyp's Avatar
I'm the son of one (first Icelandic Cod War if truth be told).
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #80
andypdonor
 
andyp's Avatar
Anyway, this is an excellent article on this;

http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/12/the...-hate-bullies/
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #81
Jeez
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcc_tester View Post
Nothing except that it makes good copy. Classic tabloid journalism, they like to make it really clear to their readers where their sympathy should lie.
There is a moral element IHMO. Individuals deserve rights (and society's help) in society and big companies don't. The individuals who work for big companies deserve rights, but I very much doubt that their rights (to earn a living) were significantly impinged by the war veteran.

edit - emphasizing the veteran angle emphasizes that we are talking about an individual.

Last edited by Jeez; 8th December 2013 at 21:48.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #82
Jeez
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp View Post
Anyway, this is an excellent article on this;

http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/12/the...-hate-bullies/
brilliant article
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #83
Oliver Schickdonor
 
Oliver Schick's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy View Post
Strikes me as some bored lawyers.

How does Microsoft trademark something already existing like "Windows"?
Yeah, why don't they trademark 'double glazing' instead? It could be quite the earner.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #84
Oliver Schickdonor
 
Oliver Schick's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp View Post
Specialized should never have been allowed to trademark 'Roubaix' in the first place, given that a) it's a physical town
I'm not sure, I think if you went there I think you'd find that they're all a bunch of softies.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #85
Oliver Schickdonor
 
Oliver Schick's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
potato's potato's
Henry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp View Post
Lets not lose sight of the issue here, Specialized are using their power to damage a small business by using bullying tactics.
I think there's little hope for you. :)
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #86
Oliver Schickdonor
 
Oliver Schick's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGottiMobbs View Post
This is all just an elaborate plan to get Lance Armstrong to ride for them. 'Look, we are bullys as well, ride Speshys not Treks'. Or something.

(rides off on his S-Works).
What the hell do you think you know, you global backwater hillbilly.

I bet the news gets to you four weeks late, if it ever gets there. :)
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #87
Oliver Schickdonor
 
Oliver Schick's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp View Post
I shouted 'Allez' at Howard in a cross race recently. Should I expect a law suit any day now?
Yes.

Howard doesn't like being called 'a lay'. He'll sue your pants off.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #88
ejay
is all a bit silly really . but I doubt the war vet will come out badly after all the support/ free publicity .
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #89
PinkGottiMobbs
 
PinkGottiMobbs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Schick View Post
What the hell do you think you know, you global backwater hillbilly.

I bet the news gets to you four weeks late, if it ever gets there. :)
I get ALL my news from LFGSS. Its like twitter but the people are even worse.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #90
Oliver Schickdonor
 
Oliver Schick's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGottiMobbs View Post
I get ALL my news from LFGSS. Its like twitter but the people are even worse.
They're all twits, quite frankly. :)

#meincluded
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #91
Oswalddonor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
As for the Giro thing... I'm sure it made the rounds in the industry. If anyone there had cared to make it the general public's business, I'd have likely heard about it. But I didn't.
How about Epic Design then? Epic design made bike packing bags which had nothing to do with Specialized making complicated full suspension MTB bikes but they were forced to change their name. That one certainly did the rounds on the MTB forums and if I remember right there was the same "I was about to put down money on .. blah blah" But they still seem to be going strong .. The ironic thing is they stole the design for their first mountain bike by shipping a Charlie Kelly / Gary Fisher "Mountain Bike" off to asia to be mass produced and they called it the Stump Jumper ..
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #92
snottyotterdonor
 
snottyotter's Avatar
Looks like they may have just made the shark jumper.

Nah, I doubt much will happen and they'll carry on in a similar vein as pretty much all big companies become psychopaths once they reach a certain size.
  quote   reply
Old 8th December 2013   #93
Oliver Schickdonor
 
Oliver Schick's Avatar
  quote   reply
Old 9th December 2013   #94
snottyotterdonor
 
snottyotter's Avatar
Finally something good has come of all this.
  quote   reply
Old 9th December 2013   #95
Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
How about Epic Design then?
Not aware of it, sounds suitably petty/ridiculous. When did it happen?
  quote   reply
Old 9th December 2013   #96
adroitdonor
 
adroit's Avatar
Epic design became Revelate bags and Epic Wheels became Sugar Wheel works:-
http://bikeportland.org/2011/03/10/e...cialized-49504
  quote   reply
Old 9th December 2013   #97
Jeez
Quote:
Originally Posted by snottyotter View Post
Nah, I doubt much will happen and they'll carry on in a similar vein as pretty much all big companies become psychopaths once they reach a certain size.
Check out the criminally under-promoted / unknown concept of Distributism

Distributism
  quote   reply
Old 9th December 2013   #98
mdcc_testerdonor
 
mdcc_tester's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
Check out the criminally under-promoted / unknown concept of Distributism
Nice to see that there are political theorists who are not satisfied by simple communism or fascism but wish to combine the worst aspects of both.
  quote   reply
Old 9th December 2013   #99
adoubletap
 
adoubletap's Avatar
Mike Sinyard started as surf-dude distro for Cinelli in California then decided to be Nike of cycling. So much so he had Nike's ex-creative director as a marketing consultant, the guy who created the jumpman logo for Michael Jordan. And that's where the S comes from.

Short version, never trust a hippy.
  quote   reply
Old 9th December 2013   #100
sorethroatdonor
 
sorethroat's Avatar
  quote   reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Specialized S specialized s-Works Roubaix, SRAM Red, Saxo Bank team bike Bikingbears Complete bikes and frame & forks 11 9th July 2013 16:09
For Sale: Specialized Roubaix Comp, 52cm danns Complete bikes and frame & forks 8 15th September 2012 19:30
For Sale: Specialized Roubaix SL3 56cm Slack Components, clothing and miscellany 2 25th June 2012 07:35
Stolen white specialized Roubaix - please help ihatelaw General 2 23rd October 2011 12:36
Wanted: Specialized Roubaix Tel Wanted 2 19th August 2010 20:24

All times are GMT. The time now is 17:58.
Creative Commons License, BY-SA v2.0
no new posts